Friday, June 20, 2014

The Moth Wanted To Be Free

This morning when I arrived at my office, I discovered a small moth.  The moth was flying all around the room and would repeatedly go to the window with wings flapping rapidly.  I suppose the moth was trying to get to the freedom of the outside, but the glass window was in the way.  I assumed that the moth couldn't figure out why it couldn't get to the outside which, I also assumed, it could see.  As I caught the moth in my hand and took it outside so it could fly freely, I thought this is like therapy.  Someone is caught by attitudes and behaviors that cause the person to feel trapped, confused, etc., yet wanting freedom which can be seen or imagined.  A Therapist's role is to gently help them find their way out of the ways in which they are caught and help them to be free.  The Therapist's role is not to tell them what their freedom looks like, but to help them find it for themselves.  I don't know what that moth will do with it's new freedom, but I hope it doesn't fly into any more open doors.  That behavior wasn't very helpful for the moth that was trapped in the office this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment