Sunday, June 8, 2014

Loosing Our "Stuff"

There is no triple crown winner this year.  California Gold ran a fourth place finish at the Belmont Racetrack.  His owners complained that horses who hadn't run in the other two races,i.e., the Derby and the Preakness, were fresher and therefore ran a stronger race.  The UK women's softball team made it to the NCAA finals. However, they lost the final game. Their star pitcher had thrown for the previous games and she was tired.  She just didn't have the "stuff" on her pitches as she usually had.  I think the lesson is that no one, not even the strongest among us, can keep going continuously.  Eventually we get weary and loose our "stuff."  Our "stuff" may be patience, wisdom, ideas, support, energy, etc.  One of my colleagues at the Counseling Center has named this "your check engine light is on."  A fundamental question is "Where do you go and what do you do, or cease doing, to regain your "stuff," ex. strength, perspective, wisdom, patience, energy, etc.?"  I'm a doer.  I do know that I get too much of my sense of value and purpose from my doing.  I wonder if most of us, and our organizations, put too much emphasis on what we do.  Kingdom work is about the quality of relationships, not quantity.  At least that's how I interpret Jesus' ministry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment