Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Data and Wisdom

In her book, I will not die an unlived life, Dwana Markova quotes from Dee Hock, Birth of the Chaordic Age, "We are now at a point in time when the ability to receive, utilize, store, transform and transmit data--the lowest cognitive form--has expanded literally beyond comprehension.  Understanding and wisdom are largely forgotten as we struggle under an avalanche of data and information" (pg. 25.)   My computer and smart-phone have the capability to bring great amounts of information to my attention.  What I do with that information, however, is related to wisdom.  I often think a fundamental question is "How does this information relate to my sense of meaning and purpose?"  Wisdom is somehow involved with the search for life's meaning and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment