Friday, June 27, 2014

Going Past Places You Don't Want To Go To

My brother, Bobby, loves to travel.  He really likes riding in the back seat of an automobile and watching for semi-trailer trucks, road signs which he can read and looking for rain.  Bobby will read the signs noting the nearby cites.  He will often say, "That's not where we're going."  He often says, "When you travel, you have to go past places where we don't want to go."  I think that's true.  Wherever I want to go in my life, there are many things I will have to go past in order to get where I want to go.  Those other things are frequently called distractions.  They have a way of drawing me away from my intentional destination.  They get me off track. Some of those distractions are clearly evil with a capacity for addiction.  However, not all distractions are evil and addictive.  Frequently the most difficult decisions are between what's good and what's better.  Often we have to go past places we don't want to go to, in order to get to the place or places where we want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment