Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Read The Behavior

I like the Biblical book of James.  I like it because it says that we are to pay attention to our behavior and the behavior of others.  "Be ye doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves" (1:22, NRSV.)   "So, faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead (2:17, NRSV.)  I get that picture.  James is pretty clear.  I believe he would say to folks, "read the behavior."  I say that to a lot of people, "read the behavior."  In my counseling practice, I hear a lot of promises and desires to do differently.  I pray that those promises and desires are genuine.  In the weeks that follow those promises, it is pretty easy to discern whether or not their motivations have created the necessary changes in behavior.  Some make the necessary and appropriate changes while others keep on promising to do better.  I understand that old habits, behaviors and patterns are difficult to change. Nevertheless, genuine desires can create the necessary motivations which result in new habits, behaviors and patterns.  These new behaviors can in turn create new attitudes.  When there are new behaviors based on appropriate attitudes, there is genuine and healing change.  Without these components, things tend to stay the same or become increasingly worse.  The old saying is true, "If nothing changes, then nothing changes."  I think I'll keep telling folks to "read the behavior."

No comments:

Post a Comment