Saturday, June 14, 2014

Father's Day

Tomorrow is Father's Day and I wish my Dad were alive so I could call and say, "I love you and thanks for all you've taught me."  Dad and mom were small business owners.  They owned Russell's Furniture and Antique store in Norman, Oklahoma.  Dad had a dry sense of humor and a strong work ethic.  It was difficult to tell whether he was being serious or joking.  At the store, Dad would occasionally hire a college ministry student or a Preacher who needed an extra job.  He called them "The Preacher boys."  Dad's background was Methodist/Nazarene so he often wondered why there weren't any "Preacher girls" in our Baptist denomination.  Dad would say that it was good that God called those men to be Preacher Boys because they were so lazy they would have a hard time making a living otherwise.  I never knew if those men thought that Dad was joking with them or if they thought he was serious.  Knowing my Dad, he probably meant a little of both.  When I felt the call to become a "Preacher boy," Dad's advise was not to forget how to sell and deliver furniture just in case 'preaching' didn't turn out too well.  I know that Dad was proud of my ministry vocation.  Nevertheless, I still know how to sell and deliver furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment