Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Not An Empty Promise

My devotional practice is to read a little from one of the Gospels each day along with a time of prayer, meditation, silence, etc.  This morning I was reading in Luke's gospel.  When Mary visited Elizabeth, the scriptures record, "And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord." (Luke 1:45, NRSV)  When someone talks with me, I want them to believe that I'll do what I say I'll do.  I also want to believe that they will do what they have promised to do.  Clean, clear promises that will be fulfilled.  That's the basis of trust.  I can trust someone who will do what they say they'll do.  This is reading someones behavior rather than just their words.  This is also the basis of a relationship with God. I trust that God will do what God has said will be done and I want to live in such a way that God can trust me. Certainly one of the fundamental issues is clearly knowing what God has promised and not just what I want God to promise.  However, it is also living in such a manner that God can trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment