Saturday, May 3, 2014

The 140th Kentucky Derby

Today was the 140th Kentucky Derby.  I've never been to the Kentucky Derby even though I lived in Louisville for four years and now in Lexington for more than 40 years.  I've been to the Keeneland races in Lexington several times.  I've never chosen a winner so when I go I think that I'm making a few donations.  I obviously don't know how to pick winners.  This Derby I liked the name "Vicar's in Trouble."  That sounds true.  I also liked "Wicked Strong" because they planned to give some of their winnings for the victims of the Boston Marathon.  I didn't choose 'California Chrome" even though it was the favorite.  Nevertheless, "California Chrome" won the 140th Derby.  The horse ran the Derby's distance in two minutes and 3.6 seconds.  It is a similar distance from my house to my office as the Derby's distance.  Sometimes I walk to work.  It takes me about 40 minutes to walk the distance; that is unless I stop at the bakery which is about half the distance and buy a couple of doughnuts. Usually the horses in the Derby are purchased for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. "California Chrome" was purchased for about eight thousand dollars. The couple of men who purchased the horse named their horse purchasing and training business "The Dumb Ass Partners."  I bet that name aggravates the 'blue bloods' with their expensive horses and farms.  I think "Vicars In Trouble" finished last.

No comments:

Post a Comment