Thursday, May 8, 2014

Style or Comfort?

My brother who is mentally handicapped, loves the Oklahoma University "Sooners" football team.  He has a bright crimson sweatshirt with the OU "Sooners" emblazoned on the front.  It is a favorite of his.  Yesterday the temperature almost reached 80 degrees and he insisted on wearing that OU sweatshirt.  The reality of it being hot didn't seem to matter.  I kept thinking surely the heat will cause him to sufficiently uncomfortable that he will put on his OU tee shirt and remove the sweatshirt.  However, I guess for him it is style and message over comfort.  In the afternoon he and I went to the grocery.  In front of us in the vegetable section was a professionally dressed woman with shoes that must have had a six inch heel.  She walked like a ballerina, but without the gracefulness.  It was her walk that caused me to first notice her.  I guess for her, also, it is style over comfort.  Surely most of us choose both style and comfort.  It seems to me that either extreme must be awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment