Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Prayer allowed at public meetings

Today's Lexington Herald-Leader's headlines reads, "Prayer allowed at public meetings."  I sort of like that news.  My "sort of" attitude refers to "prayer allowed."  I'm pretty sure they meant "public prayer" is allowed at public meetings.  I suspect many of us have prayed privately and fervently at many public gatherings such as UK's football and basketball games, meetings of our city council or the Commonwealth's General Assembly, etc.  The paper reported that Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote for the majority, wrote, "The prayer in this case has a ceremonial purpose."  I've participated in many meetings, especially at church, where prayer was ceremonial.  Prayers were merely the bookends for the meeting which informed everyone when it was time to begin and when it was all over.  The prayers seemed to have little to influence on the participants words, attitudes or behaviors in addition to having minimal impact on the results of the meeting. I'm for appropriate public prayers at our meetings but, I also want those prayers to impact all of us so that our behaviors and results reflect a respect for each other as well as a higher power, by whatever name we use for that higher power.  Shall we pray for that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment