Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mindfulness and Gratefulness

I like what the words "mindfulness" and "gratefulness" bring to my thoughts. Some of you may recognize that the word "mindfulness" is attributed primarily to the Buddhists. It probably didn't originate with them although I really don't know either the concept or word's origin. Nevertheless, I like the word and the concept it brings to my mind. It seems to me that mindfulness means that I cause my focus and attention to be full of whatever I'm doing at that moment. It is practicing the discipline of attentiveness. I googled "mindfulness" to see what I might learn. I discovered several web-sites where they wrote about how mindfulness helps you relax, do better work, etc. I suspect that is all true but, I like mindfulness just for itself. The mind is full of whatever is present at the moment.
I'm not very good at multi-tasking and I really don't want to attempt the development of it either. I've been in conversations where the other person seemed to be looking over my shoulder for the next person and conversation. I like conversations with people who look at me when we are talking.
Gratefulness, at least to me, means a similar thing as mindfulness. It means that I give attention so that my mind is full of thankfulness. I not only want to be fully focused on the present but, also, grateful for the moment. I've liked the web-site gratefulness.org for several years, especially the video.
Several years ago I remember being on an island bus from the airport to the hotel and overhearing a conversation between several tourists who were talking about the next time they come to the island. I recall thinking that it was a real loss that these excited folks weren't able to "be" at the island and grateful for it's beauty when they were already on the island and driving past beautiful scenery in delightful weather. I think they were not seeing or experiencing what they were looking and hoping for. I think mindfulness and gratefulness would be a helpful prescription for this malaise.

1 comment:

  1. I too like it when people look at me when we are talking. I hope I return the same courtesy.

    ReplyDelete