Saturday, July 10, 2010

I Like Saturday evenings

Saturday evenings are pretty consistent at our house. I got into this pattern when I was Pastor of Trinity Baptist Church. I wanted Saturday evenings to be very quiet and restful in preparation for Sunday's responsibilities. That pattern has held its place even after I'm no longer the Pastor. I still like easy Saturday evenings. After supper, the radio is turned on and tuned to the National Public Radio station for Garrison Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion." I really like that title because it says the truth so well. His music followed by stories about Lake Wobegon are really home companions. He is a wonderful story teller. After his show leaves the National Public Radio station, the Cincinnati Reds are on the television or the Lexington Legends are on local radio. I like listening and/or watching baseball. It isn't my favorite sport, that would be football, but baseball is made for a slow summer evening. I do baseball until the British Comedys come on Public Television. "The Last of Summer Wine," "Keeping Up Appearances," "Waiting For God" and "As Time Goes By" are on the schedule with our Kentucky Educational Television station. These British comedys are my favorite television shows. Unless I'm out of town, I don't miss them. I watch while snacking on a variety of cheeses, grapes, different types of crackers and a flavored sparkling water, usually Black Cherry. Sometimes I even stay up late and watch Masterpiece Theatre and the detective work of Miss Marple. She's so subtle and wise. I like watching a quiet, wise, older woman solving mysteries that confuse all others. Saturday evenings at our house are easy, enjoyable and restful. I like Saturday evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment