Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mementos

On my desk there are several special items that remind me of significant events and people. There is a fossilized portion of a sea animal about the size of a plum. That animal evidently lived in an ocean that is now Kentucky. I was given this memento by a young couple at whose wedding I officiated. I had known the wife's family a long time. I now use it as a paper weight but, when I pick it up my mind returns to their personalities, the wedding and the bride's family. On my desk there is also a pen and pencil whose cylinders are made of wood. I keep it in a special place. I was given this pen and pencil set perhaps 30 years ago by a young father and mother after I officiated at the funeral of their daughter. The daughter had a long period of illness and I tried to be at her hospital or home regularly. After the funeral, her parents came by the office and gifted me with the pen and pencil set. Any time I see it or pick it up, I'm reminded of her young life and her wonderful parents. There is also a pen set in a wooden base which is engraved with the word "gratitude." It was a gift of a long time friend who named me the god-father of her son who is now a young man. I cherish these mementos because they are far more valuable than anyone would know by looking at my desk. They are reminders of special people who have been very important in my life.
Shalom,
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rick,
    I am delighted to know you are now 'blogging'! You know me, I love reading anything that you write and will be waiting eagerly for the next post. I can hear you speak as I am reading and it is almost like old times---almost! ha Keep up the good work.

    Love to you and Judy!

    ReplyDelete