Friday, July 1, 2016

Going To The Dark Side

I've heard the phrase that an idle mind is the Devil's playground.  I don't believe that theology.  I suspect, however, that my family used that phrase not because they believed it, but to keep me working, studying, reading, etc.  This is my same family that was fond of saying "Don't burn daylight" which meant get to work early.  Whatever they meant, I've become an excellent work alcoholic.  Although I don't believe that an idle mind is the devil's playground, I do know that an idle mind tends to go to the dark side.  By the dark side I mean that an idle mind will begin to dwell on the worse that can happen and imagine all kinds of unpleasant circumstances.  Imagination isn't always a good friend.  A friend, for example, has an appointment with a Neurologist in a couple of months and he has begun to wonder if he has dementia, perhaps even Alzheimer's.  If that is true, he dwells on what that will mean for the family's finances, where will they put a hospital bed, etc., etc.  I think it is a good prescription and advise to keep one's mind profitably engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment