Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sabbath

I've been reading Matthew Sleeth's book, 24/6.  He is a former ER Physician who now has a ministry in Lexington called "Blessed Earth."  I'd recommend that you look them up on the Internet.  His 24/6 book is about keeping Sabbath.  His concept of a Sabbath is different from and more than just going to Church on Sunday.  Sabbath is a day of doing nothing as a reminder that God is God and God keeps everything moving according to God's plans.  My Spiritual Director has suggested that I pray outside and in the morning.  Therefore, I sit outside and pray as the sun is rising as a reminder that I can't make the sun rise, I can't make the birds sing, I can't make the flowers bloom, etc.  All these wonderful things are God's gifts to me whether or not I recognize or acknowledge them.  Those morning times are times of Sabbath for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment