Saturday, July 12, 2014

Prayer as Control Surrendering

One of my favorite religious authors is Joan Chittister, OSB.  In her book, Wisdom Distilled From The Daily,  she writes a chapter on prayer.  She wrote, "Prayer ... is not a matter of mood.  To pray only when we feel like it is more to seek consolation than to risk conversion." (p. 31.)  Again, she writes, "... the function of prayer is not magic.  The function of prayer is not the bribery of the Infinite.  The function of prayer is not to change the mind of God about decisions we have already made for ourselves.  The function of prayer is to change my own mind, to put on the mind of Christ." (p 35.)  I try hard not to tell God what I think God needs to do.  As of yet, God has never asked for my advise.  That doesn't mean that I've not offered.  I certainly make my requests, but prayer is about my accepting and trusting the mind of Christ and the belief that God is constantly working, whether or not I can see God's work.  Prayer is an act of trusting God's gracious and powerful presence in whatever life has in store for me, my family, friends, community, church and the world.  This kind of prayer is difficult.  It is surrendering control.

No comments:

Post a Comment