Saturday, July 26, 2014

Learning and Adjusting

These days I've been driving my son's truck.  It is a 1995 Chevrolet S-10 pick-up.  Dad gave it to my son when Dad was no longer able to drive.  The best thing about the truck is it is a stick shift, i.e., 5 forward gears with the shift lever on the floor.  The auto in which I learned to drive was an International pick-up with a stick shift which was the delivery truck for Mom and Dad's furniture and hardware store.  The family car was a 1950 Buick and it also had a stick shift.  I recall when I first drove an automobile with an automatic shift. I think it was an Uncle's care.  I remember being fearful that in spite of the letters and arrow on the steering column, I would still get it in the wrong gear. I also recall that I kept pumping my foot trying to find the clutch.  It wasn't there.  An automatic shift just didn't feel right.  However, I have learned.  I can now move back and forth between the truck's standard shift and the family car's automatic shift.  Learning and adjusting is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment