Saturday, June 5, 2010

Greetings from a warm and humid front porch,
We've returned from our journey to Oklahoma. We took my brother, Bobby, who is mentally challenged, back to Shawnee and Norman Oklahoma where we grew up for his 65th birthday. He did exceedingly well with flying. He repeatedly told me that "I'm not anxious." When the plane would bank for a turn he would grab my arm and say, "I can see the ground but I'm not anxious." He couldn't understand why the men and women, i.e., "policemen" at the airports wanted to see his shoes. He thought it was funny to want to look at peoples shoes. We visited cousins, 2nd cousins, the two former homes that were still standing (the other 2 have been removed so as to make church parking lots), our parents and grandparents graves, etc. We also visited the OU football stadium in Norman and ate at Hamburger King in Shawnee. We remembered, told stories, saw relatives we haven't seen in years and it was very good.

This afternoon we are going to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary of some friends. We've known them thirty plus years. Been with them through deaths, weddings, divorces, illnesses, etc. We've been their pastor most of those 30 plus years. Their celebration will bring together family and many friends some of which we've not seen in several years.

As one who practices and teaches mindfulness, I (Rick) try to stay focused on the present. God is alive with me in this present moment as God is also present in my memories and future story. The trip and wedding celebration, however, have me focused on my memories of the past. Those memories remind me again of who I am because of loving family and friends who help to mold me and upon whose shoulders I stand with whatever gifts, abilities, interests, etc. with which I may have been granted by God. Deo gratis!

As we looked out over a Methodist parking lot that used to be our home, I wondered what they did with all of the OU football programs I collected through the mid-50s to mid-60s. Yes, I had collected every one of them and nailed them to the walls of my bedroom during that great run of victories for the Sooners. I have many other great memories of life around that house such as my first car--a Henry J. My friends and I pushed more than drove it. Nevertheless, I was proud of that automobile because I bought it for $50 which I had made from mowing lawns. I bet many of you have never heard of a Henry J. When the missionary Paul writes, "forgetting what lies behind," my theological reply during these past few days has been "Sorry," Paul "but those were pleasant memories of what's behind and I don't want to forget them completely." However, neither do I want to live in the past because the present is so exciting and the future is promising.

Remember that You are God's Gift and you possess many gifts. Just keep in mind that without the Gift, that is you, the gifts are not longer available. So take care of yourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Rick,

    A great beginning! I like blogs that don't necessarily have a point. With mine I just try to be open and honest about my life and my feelings. Most of my readers are silent but I know they are there. I assume they find strength or comfort in my journey because it mirrors theirs. I hope you are well!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I love the way you weave God and memories together. I really want to know what kind of Ford you bought with $50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, So happy Judy posted the address to your blog on facebook, or this infp would have missed the blessing of "sitting on your front porch" with you! Thanks for sharing and to quote EB, "BLESSINGS"!

    ReplyDelete