Monday, June 7, 2010

Gluttony and the oil spill

When I first read about the explosion on the Gulf of Mexico's oil rig, I grieved for the 11 men and their families who died. After a few days I had difficulty understanding why BP and/or the government couldn't stop the 'leak.' I've not found another word to replace 'leak' as that word doesn't seem to do justice to the large amount of oil rushing in the waters. As I watched images of the oil covered pelicans, the oil sheen and the oil washing into the marshes, I've grown frustrated and angry. I have listened to the interviews of the gulf coast residents whose work as well as life-styles have been significantly altered by this accident. Standing over against their ever growing loss is the BP's CEO whose compensation package was worth about $4.6 million in 2009 (see Lexington Herald-Leader, Eugene Robinson, June 6, 2010page D-1.)

I also began to think about the life-style to which I've grown accustomed with its dependency on oil based products such as gasoline, plastics, etc. My 'oil based' life style helped create the gluttony, dependency and demand that created a need for nearly 4,000 oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, only one of which has created such this accidental oil spill. I'm pretty sad and angry today.

Lord of Creation, I ask your forgiveness as I also ask for the wisdom and courage to live more simply so that others may also live.

Shalom,
Rick

1 comment: