Sunday, February 27, 2011

Labeling people doesn't seem very helpful

I'm not convinced that labeling people is helpful. If a person is a financial conservative does that mean he or she is always a financial conservative? I know folks who wouldn't spend a nickle on new clothes for themselves yet will give their family members hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. So, are they a financial conservative or liberal? Perhaps it is best to think of conservative to liberal on a continuum depending upon the question, situation, etc. I suspect most of us would fall all over such a continuum.

For example, the news stories of this week have my responses all over that continuum. I support unions but not in situations where they abuse their collective power. I really appreciated this week's PBS interview with the Governor of Montana who entered into a respectful negotiation with the Montana State Employees Union and together they developed a fair budget that involved some give and take. I support small business owners but not when employees aren't paid a fair salary. My parents were small business owners. On frequent occasions I heard my parents say that one of the reasons for their furniture store was to support the employee's families. We need large corporations. I think some corporate executives make too much money. However, some corporate executives aren't paid sufficiently for the large oversight and vision they must have. I support greater restrictions for mountain top coal removal and the need for Federal involvement. I support coal mining because it is a source of energy and jobs. I also support investing in renewable sources of energy. I think our Universities need to be doing research but, also, remember that their primary purpose is teaching. I could go further, especially in religious matters, but you can see my thoughts.

I'm all over this continuum of conservative to liberal. So, don't hang a single label on me because of one issue and I'll try not to do that to you. I wish our leaders would respect each other sufficiently so that they could enter into honest conversations and decision-making. Labeling seems neither respectful nor accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment