Sunday, February 20, 2011

Budget Priorities and Jesus

I'm reading about the House of Representatives efforts to reduce the Federal debt. I agree that the country's spending has increased significantly. I'm also aware that President Clinton left President Bush a surplus. This debt has therefore developed in the past ten years. The attack of 9/11 has significantly diminished our sense of security. We have been engaged in two pre-emptive wars against terriorism which continue to be incredibly expensive not only in terms of the national budget but, also, in the lives of our military men, women and families. Some adjustments certainly need to be made. However, I'm deeply concerned with some of the details of this first effort to reduce the Federal debt. For one thing, the House of Representatives didn't even discuss reducing their salaries or benefit packages. This seems similar to those folks who demand that changes be made but not in my back yard. Furthermore, I can't support efforts that seek to reduce or even eliminate health care to our citizens or diminish support of public education. Many of these families are "the least among us" to use a Biblical phrase. Therefore, these matters are moral or ethical issue for me and not primarily a financial or budgeting concern. In today's MSNBC.com news there is a story about the Executive of JP Morgan, Mr. Dimon, who has been given a package of $17 million for this year. Our Congressional leaders refused to increase taxes for persons such as Mr. Dimon. This seems neither fair nor just. I recall Jesus saying that "...to whom much is given, much is required...even demanded." (Luke 12:48, NRSV.) I keep wondering what Jesus must be thinking of the manner in which our leaders, as well as many of us, are making decisions about spending priorities. We may be a nation where many families are in churches on Sunday but some of our priorities don't look much like Jesus to me. I'm concerned about the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment