Saturday, February 19, 2011

Father Kelty has died

Friday was a sad day at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky. Father Matthew Kelty passed away. For many years he gave talks to the retreatants after the Compline service. I was often on retreat at the Abbey and privileged to hear many of his Compline talks. Those talks were not only something that gave me a lot to think about but, they were a work of art delivered in a relaxed and conversational style. He was one of the most gifted spiritual speakers that I've heard. He always gave me a lot to think and pray about. I think one of his favorite phrases was to look into the eyes of the retreatants and with a gentle smile and long pause say something like, "Go deeper." I'm grateful that I had the privilege of knowing him. You may want to check out his reading of Thomas Merton's famous prayer on YouTube. At the Abbey, the monks will take turns for 24 hours beginning Sunday late afternoon praying the Psalms beside his body after which he will be buried in his monk's robe, directly into the earth beside the Abbey church. I'll miss him.

At the Lay Cistercians meeting today, Saturday, we discussed the spiritual discipline of acesticism. Acesticism is the discipline of intentional sacrifices so that we might have more room in our lives for the presence of God. It was a sobering discussion with Father Kelty's death hovering around the monastery. Father Kelty owned nothing--not even his clothes. He lived the challenge I've hear him give to others, "Go deeper."

No comments:

Post a Comment