Friday, June 3, 2022

I Am Their Leader, Which Way Did They Go?

Quietism is the name given to a set of beliefs that rose in popularity in France, Italy, and Spain during the late 1670s and 1680s, particularly associated with the writings of the Spanish mystic Miguel de Molinos, Madame Guyon, and which were condemned as heresy in 1687. It is the belief and practice that there is not a lot that I need to do to help bring God’s Kingdom to earth except to pray. Quietism does not ask much of me. I hear Quietism often in the counseling room and in Churches, although I am sure they have never heard of Quietism. The clients and Churches say that they are praying and waiting on God to act. I have nothing against praying and waiting on God because I fear too often, we run ahead of God. I do, however, recall that in many of Jesus’ miracles, he asked the recipients or friends to do something first. He asked the servants to fill the water pots at the wedding in Cana of Galilee. He put mud in the blind man’s eyes and told him to wash. Elisha told Naaman to dunk himself in the Jordan River if he would be clean of his leprosy. I believe God usually asks us to do something in addition to praying and waiting. I think the scriptures teach us that we are in a mutual relationship with God. I agree with those who say that God’s hands and feet are our hands and feet. I do my part and God does God’s part. I believe that the Churches and political leaders must do their parts. The political leaders must be talking and acting toward legislation that deals with the contemporary issue. The Churches must be talking about the issues of today. Surely the Bible has something to say about how we deal with each other and our issues. I fear that many Churches and Pulpits have lost their voices; they are quiet. I suspect they may have lost their voice because they are fearful of upsetting some members. I have a friend who had a baseball cap with two bills facing different directions and the writing on the ballcap said, "I am their leader; which way did they go?" I think many of our Political and Church leaders are wearing that ballcap.

No comments:

Post a Comment