Saturday, June 4, 2022

Walk Beside as Equals and Not Behind

Recently I observed a couple walking together except the wife (I assumed she was the wife) was walking behind. I thought that is a “picture” of Southern Baptists. Women are to walk behind the men. There is a significant lack of equality, and the Bible is used to teach and support such an idea, thought or theology. Often the scriptures that are used are from Paul’s letters. Paul’s letters were written to specific congregations, most of whom had unique or specific issues with which they were dealing. I am not convinced that we are to make Paul’s letters to be universal applications for all congregations. I would rather take Jesus’ teachings as my universal teachings. Jesus said to treat others as you want to be treated. God gave the message of Jesus’ resurrection to three women and told them to go tell the men. God also gave them instructions to tell the men where they would find Jesus. God’s trusting those women with the significant message of the resurrection settles the issue for me. Women are not to be treated as second class Christians. If God calls a woman to a leadership position, even an Ordained position in the Church, then let us not get in God’s way.

No comments:

Post a Comment