Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Same Sex Attraction

In the late 1970’s and 80’s, I was ambivalent about same-sex attraction. I did not know what I thought and believed. Since that time, I have had the opportunity and privilege of sitting in the counseling room with people who were struggling with their sexual orientation. Many of these folks I have come to appreciate, respect, and admire for their honesty. They have evolved my thinking and beliefs. I have officiated at the wedding of two men whom I respect. I felt good about their relationship as well as their sense of God’s leading and was honored to officiate their wedding and celebrate their marriage. I wish I could go back and retrieve comments I made in the past about same-sex attraction. I would say things much differently today. I thank God for guiding me in my evolving thoughts and beliefs. I sometimes wonder if those who have negative thoughts and beliefs about same-sex attraction, have ever really gotten to know someone who has struggled with his/her sexuality. I fear that it is too easy to be judgmental about what or whom we do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment