Monday, May 25, 2015

Pentecost and Memorial Weekend

I don't recall seeing these two special day falling on the same weekend although I suspect they have previously.  However, that's what is happening this year.  I wondered which emphasis Churches would celebrate, especially in my evangelical tradition.  I hoped the Churches would celebrate both. The one Church where I take my brother to Sunday School emphasised Memorial Day with remembrances and recognitions of service men and women.  Another Church to which I regularly listen via the radio prayed for our men and women in service but, no other mention was made. Neither made mention of Pentecost but, I'm not greatly surprised as neither are liturgical Churches. Memorial Day and Pentecost are both important.  It seems to me that both have to do with freedom. One is freedom for our Country via the military while the other is freedom from religious law via the Holy Spirit.  I'm grateful for my freedoms, both national and religious.  Thank you service men and women and thank you Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment