Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day

My parents worked at Kib Warren's in Shawnee, Oklahoma.  This was a furniture, appliance, hardware, kitchen ware, toys, sporting goods, etc. store.  I even worked there for about a year when I was in college.  Mr. Warren told me that the purpose of the store was to provide quality goods at an affordable price and, also, to provide a good income for his employees.  I think it is that last purpose that is missing in many businesses today.  The employees who worked for the Warren's stayed a long time.  Even today, I can recall the names and 'stories' of most of them, ex. Mr. Ross' son was an navigator/engineer of an airline that flew to Europe and his stories always excited my childhood imagination.  My folks worked at that store for more than forty years.  I don't recall needing much that I didn't have as I was growing up so, I assume that Kib Warren's paid my folks a good income.  I like family owned businesses who believe that their employees should have a good income.

No comments:

Post a Comment