Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"God's more-than-enough"

I rarely go to the malls.  I'm not a shopper because I don't like big crowds and long lines.  I'm grateful for on-line shopping.  Nevertheless, I ventured into a mall recently.  I neither stayed long nor purchased anything because I was "turned off" by the noise and the crowds.  This morning my scripture reading was in the 3rd and 4th Psalm.  I've been reading from Eugene Peterson's The Message. The ending of the 4th Psalm is paraphrased by Peterson as "Why is everyone hungry for more?  'More, more,' they say.  'More, more.'  I have God's more-than-enough, more joy in one ordinary day than they get in all their shopping sprees.  At day's end I'm ready for sound-sleep, for you, God, have put my life back together."   I think I've heard a Word from God for me this 2013 Christmas season.  My prayer for this Christmas is simplicity accompanied with more attentiveness to God's presence which is more-than-enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment