Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012's New Year's Resolutions

My News Year's resolutions are simple. I like my vocation so I'll continue. I like receiving spiritual direction so I'll continue. I like Member Care with mission families so I'll continue. I like teaching at the Seminary so I'll continue. I like going to the Abbey of Gethsemani every month as a Lay Cistercian so I'll continue. One time a retreatant asked Father Matthew Kelty why so many folks come to the Abbey for a retreat. He answered that it might be because at the Abbey there is nothing to do and you have all day to do it. Being at the Abbey for a few days each month helps to slow one's self so perspective can be regained. I like the idea of not being tied to a telephone so I'll continue not owning a cell phone. I like reading classic spirituality books so I'll continue reading these books. I'm thinking that most new books are basically a restating of what was written hundreds of years ago. I like living simply so I'll continue as best I can. For example, when I purchase one piece of clothing I give a comparable piece of clothing from my closet to the Church's clothing store. In this spiritual discipline I'm not adding to my wardrobe, just replacing. I like going to church so I'll continue. I like the results of keeping a spiritual journal which I review each month with my Spiritual Director so I'll continue. My spiritual journal is based on the Daily Examen with the question, "Where have I experienced God's presence in the past twenty-four hours?" In my Bible readings I've been with the "Sermon on the Mount" so I'll continue. Well, you get the idea of my New Year's resolutions. I know that there are a lot of things I need to change or do better, but I'm not much into New Year's resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment