Friday, July 1, 2011

Pro-life

Yesterday's Lexington newspaper carried the headlines of a man from a prominent Kentucky political family who plead guilty to murdering his girl friend. He plead guilty in order to avoid the possibility of receiving the death penalty from a jury and judge. Life in prison seems like a just consequence for his taking the life of another person. However, I wish there were no death penalties. I'm pro-life, which includes pro-birth, but means much more than just pro-birth for me. My pro-life belief is part of my theology. I believe life, which includes the capability of creating and caring for life, is part of the 'image of God' within every living thing. According to my interpretation of the Genesis account, God created life out of nothingness. God then shared that life-creating capability with all of God's creation. Human beings, animals, plants, etc. have the capability of creating life. I believe life, and the capability of creating and caring for life, is a divine gift. I believe that one of the meanings of having been created in the 'image of God,' is the capability of creating and caring for life. To create and care for life is one of the ways in which we share in God's life, i.e., the 'image of God.' That's why I'm pro-life. I do admit, however, that I'm not all that consistent with my theology because I eat meat and I, also, believe people have the right to defend themselves when attacked--defend; not retaliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment