Sunday, July 24, 2011

Depression?

I've been reading Eat Pray Love. This is an interesting travel journal by Elizabeth Gilbert and, nope, I haven't seen the movie. As a counselor, I think she may have one of the best descriptions of depression that I've read. Her writing is very honest or confessional. Her depression was brought on by her divorce. Some depressions seem to be brought on by such a situation or even an illness or disability. I've several clients whose depression seems to relate to working in a system that doesn't match their personality. One friend needs freedom to create, but his supervisor micro-manages. He is depressed by his work situation and is frustrated by the lack of other job possibilities. I've another friend with just the opposite situation. He needs a clear structure with expectations and weekly meetings with his supervisor. Unfortunately he is in a system where his supervisor only contacts him when something is wrong. Occasionally what looks like depression is actually spiritual desolation. 17 years ago I experienced what I thought was depression. I had been pastor of Lexington's Trinity Baptist Church for twenty-one years. The last year or so I seemed to have lost my energy. I didn't like going to church, preaching, visiting, meetings, etc. This is not good, especially if you are the Pastor. A psychiatrist friend said he didn't think it was depression, just looked and felt like it. He suggested that I check out spiritual desolation with my Spiritual Director. They both wondered if God might be moving me away from my comfort and secure level as Pastor. Eventually I resigned from the church with no place to go. No pulpit search committee contacted me. That was hard on the ego. Six months later (yes, I had no steady income for six months), Lexington's Calvary Baptist Church called and asked if I would help them begin a Pastoral Counseling Center. Didn't even know they were thinking about such a counseling ministry and, yet, they said that my name kept coming up in their planning. I've been at the Interfaith Counseling Center for sixteen years now, and it has been a wonderful match. It is a wonderful place to work. Work now energizes me. I'm eager to get there every day. When I was dealing with my depression and spiritual desolation, it was important that I had a sensitive Psychiatrist, Counselor and Spiritual Director who did more than just medicate the symptoms. I thank God regularly, not only for the help, but for the spiritual guidance I had on that portion of my life journey. It is always interesting to me how God guides our lives--never the same as someone else. Baron Fredrick von Hugel wrote that God doesn't use ditto marks. God always stays that mysterious presence in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment