Saturday, October 2, 2010

Packing as discernment

It is time to do the laundry in anticipation of packing. I'm leaving Tuesday for a two week visit with five missionary family friends who live in five European countries. Packing is a test of discernment for me. I get stuck with thinking I need to pack everything that I imagine I might need and, then remembering that, if necessary, I can purchase things in other countries. Therefore, my initial tendency is to pack too much. Perhaps, it is because I get confused trying to determine what is really necessary and what is not necessary. My imagination gets in the way. I imagine more possibilities than have ever happened and, therefore, I tend to pack too much. I've traveled a great deal and you would think I have this packing down to a fine art. An ole proverb says to lay out what you think you need and then put half of it back in the closet or chest-of-drawers. I think I'll try that--if it doesn't make me too anxious.

1 comment:

  1. with the cost of luggage these day, hummmm, might have to rethink the "over packing".. also, thought only women did that, lol

    ReplyDelete