Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Music

I've been listening to a CD which I really like. It is a collection of songs by Peter, Paul and Mary. I like both their music and message. I can understand the words and the music isn't so fast or loud that I can't follow the story-line. The music seems to support and, not get in the way of the message. I also like their harmony. I think it is a real gift to sing with others and it sounds like it really belongs together. I wish more of us in the world could make harmony not just in music but, also, in theology, politics, etc. Evidently harmony doesn't mean that everyone sings the same note. It is our differences which are blended together in the same song and for a purpose more important than just my voice that makes beautiful harmony and music. I think their songs, many of which are about the events of the times, are prophetic. Their subtle and, sometimes not so subtle, challenge to the status-quo is refreshing. Of course, you will want to remember that I 'came of age' during the 60s and 70s when music spoke to the events of civil rights, war, poverty, etc. It is good to listen again to their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment