Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Southern Baptists are in Trouble

The Southern Baptist Convention is in trouble. They have denied, avoided and hidden sexual abuse by some Baptist clergy and Conventional leaders. It is now becoming known. I urge you to read Russell Moore’s article in Christianity Today. It is insightful. As a former, and recovering, Southern Baptist this grieves me. It grieves me for all the innocent and committed Southern Baptists who will now suffer the consequences of their leaders. It also grieves and angers me because of all who will now choose to stay away from Churches; not just Southern Baptist but all Churches. It angers me because Baptists, like the Catholic Church, in that the leadership chose to cover up their sex abuse scandals. The Apostle John opens his Gospel by stating of Jesus, “In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not (and will not, {Rick’s italics}) overcome it.” (JOHN 1:4-5, RSV). I identify myself as a Jesus-follower, rather than as a member of a specific denomination. Sometimes I even feel uncomfortable with the label of Christian because many who call themselves Christians are not Jesus followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment