Monday, September 14, 2026

Liberal?

I have a strong Southern Baptist background. I was raised in a Southern Baptist home and extended Southern Baptist family; I went to Southern Baptist Churches. I have even been the Pastor of two Southern Baptist Churches. I attended a Southern Baptist University and Seminary. However, in recent years I have “fallen out” of the Southern Baptist tribe. Many call me a “liberal” which is used as a derogatory term in describing me and others of like mind. I think labels are stereotyping. Most folks are more complicated than the label describes. One example of my “liberal” thinking and behavior is related to homosexuality. I am very familiar of the Biblical teachings against homosexuality. However, when Jesus was asked about which is the greatest commandment, his answer was none of the famous ten from Moses’ time. His answer was about loving God and neighbors as one’s self, (Matthew 22:36-40 and Mark 12:28-31). Jesus also set the standard: “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35). I choose to follow Jesus’ teachings and not make the Bible a codified book of laws. I have chosen to love a gay couple by officiating their marriage; and “Yes, I would do it again.” I think Jesus was present and joined their marriage celebration. Heck, Jesus was in trouble with the ‘official religious folks’ of his time and, I believe he would also be today.

No comments:

Post a Comment