Sunday, January 6, 2019

A Transformed Disciple

Sometimes I'm asked what the Christian life is all about or what is the Church's purpose? My answer is pretty simple. I believe that the Church (I mean the universal Church as well as the local church) is to be about making disciples (Matthew 28:19). A disciple is a Jesus-follower which is not the same as having sinless behavior or believing proper doctrine. How does a person become a disciple? I believe that a disciple or Jesus-follower is one whose mind (and life) has been transformed by the indwelling presence of God's Spirit (Romans 12:2). There are folks who call themselves "Red-letter Christians." By this they mean that they pay great attention to what Jesus said (many Bibles print Jesus' words in red-letters.) This may be an over-simplification but, nevertheless, I could be called a red-letter Christian. Being transformed implies that it isn't all about me and my efforts. There is a mutual relationship in which I make the effort to be available to God's Spirit and trusting that God's Spirit will accomplish what is beyond my own capabilities. The Christian life is about becoming a transformed disciple of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment