Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Old Truck

On many days I drive around town in an old, white pickup truck.  It surely has far too many miles on it to be very reliable.  It has several small leaks. I put  some cardboard underneath it in the garage so as not to mess up the floor.  I tell folks that when they're that old and have that many mile of them, they'll leak too.  It has some rust spots on it and the brown rust symptom has begun to run down the fender.  Not too long ago the spare wheel fell out from under the truck bed when I hit a bump in the road.  The mechanism that held the spare tire had finally rusted away.  I wouldn't trust the truck driving too far out of town.  It has a clutch and a shift stick on the floor, so not many folks have asked to borrow it because they don't know how to drive a vehicle that doesn't have an automatic gear shift.  My personal opinion is that most families need an old truck hauling stuff.  I'm certainly not thinking about getting rid of the old truck.  It was purchased new and driven by my father many years ago.  When he became ill and unable to drive, he gave the keys to my son.  Dad has now passed away.  When our son had a job requiring him to drive a lot of miles each week, we traded vehicles.  That's how I ended up with the truck.  I know that there are a lot of things around our house and garage that could be disposed of.  However, most of them have a story or memory that's attached.  So until I'm ready to diminish those reminders of memories and stories, I think I'll keep some of that stuff, including the old truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment