Thursday, April 27, 2023

Yeast

I enjoy making bread. Yeah, the yeast kind where I must knead the dough. I must give most of it away because of my diet and the carbohydrate thing. What I like most about making bread is watching and waiting for the yeast to work. The yeast gets stirred and kneaded into the dough where I cannot even see it. Yet, when placed in a bowl and in a warm place, the yeast begins to do its work. The bread rises almost as if it is magic. Jesus talked about our spiritual life being like yeast. Yeast does not bring attention to itself. Yeast works in the background. God’s Spirit is like yeast, it goes to work if I will make room in my life for the Spirit and then, get out of the way and give it time to work. I wonder if too many of us are in such a hurry that we do not give God’s Spirit time to work. Yeast bread is not instant bread. I must mix, knead, and wait. That is a pretty good recipe for the Spiritual life: mix and knead well, then wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment