Sunday, April 16, 2023

Making Bread

We made bread a few days ago. When I write “we,” I mean Betty Crocker’s cookbook and me. When I write “made,” I mean bread with flour, yeast, kneading and waiting for the dough to rise. I made bread, not just baked, although we also baked the loaves. When the two loaves came out of the oven, we put the butter on the hot bread and ate several slices. When I write “we,” I mean Judy and myself. Bread is a wholesome task which gives wonderful rewards. The reward of hot homemade, yeasty, bread and butter. The reward of an effort with tasty and observable results. The reward of exercise comes from stirring and kneading. The reward of remembering my grandmothers and their bread. Making bread is a wonderful and delicious spiritual discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment