Monday, April 3, 2023

Numb to Violence

I was born in 1941, so I have lived my life with the threat of nuclear war and the destruction of earth. I can recall the exercises we had in school during which a siren would go off and we would hide under our desks to save ourselves from a nuclear blast and fallout. Oh, how innocent we were! Today, children are hiding under desks to save themselves from gun violence, even though the threat of nuclear weapons is still a reality. I wonder if our accommodating to military style weapons in the hands of citizens, who do not seem to be interested in joining the military or the police, is not a foretaste of violence gone amuck. Have you read the Second Amendment? “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” “A well-regulated militia” sounds to me like the military and/or police. If someone wants military type guns then, join the Army, Police or National Guard. If we are accommodating to the violence of military style weapons, why do we think that someone, somewhere, sometime will not launch nuclear weapons? I fear that we are getting numb to violence. Let us stop this madness while we still have the option!

No comments:

Post a Comment