Monday, May 1, 2023

Tea and Prayer

I am fond of drinking tea. I have several favorites such as Earl Gray, Darjeeling, English Breakfast, and Green tea. In the morning I choose teas that contain caffeine, whereas after lunch I choose decaffeinated teas or teas which have minimal caffeine, such as white tea. I am not a fan of teas that are fruit flavored. To make a good cup of tea requires hot water and waiting. The waiting is for the tea to infuse the water. I drop the tea leaves or tea bag into the hot water and wait while the tea infuses itself into the water. The longer I wait the stronger the tea becomes. Tea is a wonderful metaphor for one type of prayer. I show up, like a cup of hot water, and wait as the divine I Am begins infusing my thoughts, feelings, heart, soul, spirit, etc. with the divine presence. The truth of praying in this manner is that I may not know what the divine I Am has done. This type of praying requires silence and waiting, and a cup of tea helps me remember how to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment