Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Ornery Okie

Two of my colleagues at the Interfaith Counseling Center gave me a new moniker, “Ornery Okie.” Thanks Lisa and Jennifer. I will own that moniker. My parents and grandparents told me that I was a strong-willed and independent child. They report that I would often say, “No, I’ll do it my way.” Of course, I own the “Okie” title as I am from Norman, Oklahoma, and a life-long fan of the OU football “Sooners” team. When I graduated from Norman High School I went to Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee, Oklahoma, where, you might say, my orneriness continued. My folks were from Shawnee, Oklahoma, as were all my grandparents. My parents were married in Shawnee’s Immanuel Baptist Church where they were Sunday School teachers and Dad was a deacon. My Granny, mother’s mother, was a charter member of the Immanuel Baptist Church. So, what did I do when I went to Shawnee to attend Oklahoma Baptist University? I joined the First Baptist Church of Shawnee, Oklahoma, and not the Immanuel Baptist Church. Why? Because I did not want to be known as Russell and Irene’s son or Granny’s grandson. I wanted to be known for who I am. Ornery? Yeah, Lisa and Jennifer are correct. So, I will own the “Ornery Okie” moniker. Sometimes the phrase or moniker your friends put on you is more accurate than you may realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment