Sunday, May 3, 2020

Moderation

Years ago in our Church there was a gentleman who was an efficiency expert. His job, as I understood it, was to consult with industry and organizations about the efficiency of their work. He gave me, as his Pastor, some valuable lessons about efficiency related to some of the meetings in the Church. I appreciated and learned from him. I continue to be mindful of some of the lessons he taught. However, over the years I’ve also learned that efficiency as the primary goal has a cost. Part of the cost may be a lack of time to casually and informally relate to colleagues at work. The cost could also to become a work-alcoholic. Being inefficient also has costs. Perhaps I don’t get my share of the work done and therefore I put extra work on others. Inefficiency may also be a symptom of a lack of self-discipline. For the past fifteen years or more, I’ve been a friend/Lay Cistercian at the Abbey of Gethsemani. Part of the discipline is seriously considering the Rule of St. Benedict, given that I’m not a monk but married, Protestant and lay person. The discipline is to think of St. Benedict’s Rule as I develop my personal rule or rhythm of life that is holistic and God-honoring. One of St. Benedict’s guidelines that is important to me is “Yet, all things are to be done with moderation on account of the fainthearted.” (Chapter 48, verse 9 The Rule of St. Benedict). Chapter 48 is about the working life. My desire is neither great efficiency nor a laissez-faire or ‘anything goes’ attitude. My goal is moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment