Saturday, April 18, 2020

“You are trying to hurry the process.”

“You are trying to hurry the process.” Those words were spoken to me a couple of days ago by my Physical Therapist. She said that she could tell by my efforts that I was trying to hurry my healing process. She said that tendons take a while to heal and it wasn’t helpful for me to try and hurry the healing process. I have frequently said something similar to students in my Spiritual Formation classes at the Seminary. Just because you have prayed fervently for a couple of days, doesn’t mean that you have a prayer practice. Developing a prayer practice takes time. In many things about my life, we get in a hurry and expect results too quickly. Waiting is difficult work. Waiting means doing or staying with the task until it is completed. Waiting is not sitting down and expecting someone else to do the task. That’s laziness, denial and avoidance.

1 comment:

  1. Prayer practice can take work. Spontaneous prayer is always good, but scheduled dedicated prayer time does take work and discipline. While not necessarily waiting for 'results' from God, deepening my relationship with God is well worth the effort. This time (the virus) is an opportunity to develop such particular times and practices to be with God. With what is happening in our world, the timing for yet a closer relationship with God and God's children couldn't be better. Wishes for healing and patience, Rick. I'm working on the 'patience' thing, too! Karen May

    ReplyDelete