Thursday, May 7, 2020

Both/And

When it comes to matters of the heart, such as family, religion and politics, it seems that many folks have only one viewpoint which they believe to be the only right viewpoint. Such an attitude makes other viewpoints wrong. It is either right or wrong. The more I experience life and especially people who are or have had to deal with some of life’s difficulties, the less I think in terms of either/or. For example, on the Enneagram I typically score as a #2, the Helper. However, sometimes I act like a #6, the Loyalist; whereas other times I want to try something new like a #1, the Reformer. I’m the Director of our Counseling Center so I must also be a #3, the Achiever. I think I’m both a #2, #6, #1, #3 and all of the nine positions on the Enneagram, depending on the situation. I’m a three generation Baptist who is drawn to the liturgy of the Catholic, Episcopal and Lutheran Churches and I often worship with these liturgical churches. I value the Church freedom and Bible focus of the Baptist and, also, the liturgical structure of the other churches. I’m pretty sure that I’m both a Baptist and a liturgical worshipper. I find myself frustrated with those folks who think only in terms of either – or. I like both – and or conjunctive faith as James Fowler labeled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment