Wednesday, July 20, 2022

What Is a Contemplative?

In my practice at The Interfaith Counseling Center, I often collaborate with a person as a spiritual director or counselor. The person often asks if I am a contemplative. Before I can answer, I ask them about their idea of a contemplative. They often describe someone who spends hours in daily prayer and has mystic experiences. I do not fit that description. I do, however, spend time each morning in prayer and scripture reading. When I read the Bible and other ‘spiritual’ books, I try to ask myself the question, “What is God wanting me to learn and apply from this reading?” This question is like the Lectio Divina practice. I read not only for understanding but, also, so the scriptures can read me. I am never certain what makes something a mystical experience. Is sitting on the porch and listening to the birds singing a mystical experience? Maybe Yes or maybe No. In a recent reading of Bede Griffiths autobiography, I highlighted his definition of contemplation because I like it. “Contemplation is a habit of mind which enables the soul to keep in a state of recollection in the presence of God whatever may be the work with which we are occupied” (The Golden String, An Autobiography, Bede Griffiths. page 148.) Whatever a person may be doing, to be aware and sensitive to God’s abiding presence is contemplation. If this is true, then perhaps more of us are, or will desire to be, contemplatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment