Friday, August 20, 2021

Being Certain Doesn't Mean I Am Right

A gentleman telephoned me at my therapy practice with the Interfaith Counseling Center and said he was seeking Christian counseling for marital issues. He said that Christian counseling was very important as he and his wife were "followers of Jesus." He indicated that he had done a thorough search via the web and felt that “the Lord was leading them to me.” He also said that neither he nor his wife had been vaccinated for COVID because they trusted Jesus rather than a vaccine. I told him that our practice was if they were unvaccinated, then we would look at the possibility of virtual therapy. He said that he had done some internet research and knew that virtual counseling was ineffective. He was very certain of all that he was sharing with me. He had that “authority” in his voice. I told him that given their expectations, I was not a good resource for them even if he was convinced that the Lord had led him to me. He hung up on me. I am reminded again that a person, even I, can be certain but still not be right. Humility is always a good prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment