Monday, August 16, 2021

I am weary of finger pointing

I am weary of finger pointing. Today the national news carries the story of the fall of Kabul. The Taliban have taken over the capital and the President has left the country. The folks being interviewed seem to be attempting to answer the question “Whose fault has this been?” The finger pointing has begun. COVID is making a renewal and we ask the question, “Whose fault is this?” The finger pointing has begun at those who refuse to be vaccinated as well as those who refuse to wear masks. A church has not recovered it’s attendance since the COVID pandemic and they have begun to point fingers-- the Pastor’s sermons, the music or some of the Elders’ decisions. Whose fault is this decline in attendance? When we ask the question, “Whose fault is this?” we are looking backwards. We may even be trying to avoid the reality of the present. I think a better question would be” Given this reality, what are we going to do now? The truth is that there is probably sufficient fault to go around so we need not start pointing fingers. When I pointed my finger at someone in blame, my Dad would remind me that I also had three fingers pointing back at me. Lesson learned! I am weary of finger pointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment