Saturday, September 12, 2020

Morning Quiet Time

For a long time, I have tried to keep a morning quiet time. For me this involves reading some scripture which always includes a Gospel reading. I read the scripture expecting they will speak to some issue which is on my mind. I also read the “Word of the Day” from Gratefulness.org; Richard Rohr’s ‘daily devotional’ and, also, listen to “Pray-as-you-go.org.” I also keep a journal. My prayers are quick thoughts about those whom I know are ill, facing decisions, traveling, etc. I ask God whom we need to pray for this morning and then I listen to my thoughts believing God’s Spirit is guiding my prayers. I try not to tell God what I think He needs to do about these situations as I hope He already knows what is needed. I also try to sit quietly without giving attention to my thoughts that flow through my mind, i.e., mental silence. All of this takes me twenty, maybe thirty or forty minutes each morning. I do not always have a morning quiet time. Sometimes, I sleep too long and other times I just do not want to—so I do not. I hope God does not mind my skipping at times. Surely God does not want me to become obsessive and compulsive about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment