Saturday, March 7, 2020

Slip Slidding Into New Life Lessons

Slipped on some black ice and tore my quad loose. After surgery I'm in an immobilizer and on crutches. I'm an active person so this enforced period of inactivity is unwelcome. Nevertheless, it is slowly beginning to teach me some important lessons. For example, I must depend on others rather than doing it myself. I can't even get myself a glass of water. I have been doing a lot of reading. I just purchased a third book on my Kindle, Dr. James Hollis' book, Living an Examined Life. What drew me to it was the subtitle, "Wisdom for the Second Half of the Journey." I'm well into the second half of my journey but, nevertheless, let's read what he says. I'm a reader of Dr. Hollis and his Jungian background so I'll pay attention. In my practice of therapy, I've frequently told clients that they will think they are better than they really are. Healing takes time and our minds are usually ahead of our physical selves. At least, mine is and that's why I fell a second time, but in the house. My instructions are not to get up except to go to the restroom and table. That's not an easy lesson for me to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment